Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My First Born's First Day of School


So the day has come and gone, and it all went very well. I managed to hold it together quite well. We were running a bit late to school. I had to make sure that I got pictures of Riley (and Victoria) on his first day of school. This is something that my Mom ALWAYS did and I want to start doing it with my kids too. Anyway, we drove up to the school right at 8:00 and to my surprise, we got a front parking spot. Well, it was when I was walking in the building that I realized that school STARTS at 8:00 (I know, rookie mistake). The principal was doing the announcements and by the time we entered the class, they were doing the pledge ... oops, sorry Riley. So, we scooted in and put Riley's things away in his locker/cubbie. He was so excited to see his name on it. It really bugged him at meet the teacher night that his name wasn't on anything in his classroom. Then I gave him a quick kiss and scooped up Victoria and headed out the door.

We decided to drop by the Kindergarten Parent "Cool-down" brunch in the cafeteria. Well, it was kinda depressing and sad in there, so Victoria and I turned right around and walked out. And to be quite honest, I didn't really need a cool down ... I was just really nervous for Riley, but excited too. I almost felt like it was my first day of school, ya know? Anyway, it was when I was driving away from the school that the Lord just rained his peace over me. It was like all the prayers that everyone had lifted up just fell over me. It was just the coolest thing!! You may be thinking that I am making too big of a deal out of this, but this is my first born and I am entrusting him to complete strangers for 7 hours. But as my Pastor's wife put it, it is an opportunity to give our children back to our loving heavenly Father. I love that ... it really brings comfort!!

So Victoria and I ran a couple of errands and just chilled out at home. I couldn't wait for 3PM to roll around. We left the house around 2:45 for the less than 5 minute drive for the 3PM pick-up. Riley climbed in the car around 3:20. INSANE!! I am hoping that was just first day traffic congestion. I am so glad we have the DVD player in the car for Miss Victoria. So, I purposely did not ask him any questions about his day until we got home and this is what I got:



Not much, but he is a 5 year old boy ... they live in the moment and aren't much for talking about their day. Come to think of it, that would pretty much sum up most boys whether 5 or 35. Ha Ha. He did say later that his favorite part of his first day was eating lunch (he is his father's son).

Very excited about the first day!!


2 comments:

Anjolee said...

That was cute! I liked it when he said, "well, of course." :) Glad you both made it through. :)

Anonymous said...

"You may be thinking that I am making too big of a deal out of this, but this is my first born and I am entrusting him to complete strangers for 7 hours."

You aren't making a big deal at all! This is what I felt the days leading up to taking Jack to his first day of K. All I could think about was possible field trips I couldn't go on, making new friends and wanting to go over to their house when I don't know the parents that well, etc. I had a very active imagination. LOL I love what your pastor's wife said. Just beautiful.