Saturday, August 23, 2008

Major Milestone


Riley lost his first tooth! I first noticed it about two weeks ago when I was flossing his teeth. I saw something white on his gums and thought I missed some food or something. I tried to get it off and realized that it was a tooth coming in ... freaky! I so wasn't expecting that yet. Then I felt that his tooth was loose. It has been getting more and more loose, but he didn't like to mess with it and every time I would look in his mouth and wiggle it, both Riley and I would get the "willies."

So last night it was just hanging by practically nothing and I don't do gross things like that very well, so Gigi (my Mom, the nurse) volunteered to pull it. But first, Carey had a try at it. He try twice and I guess didn't pull hard enough and sent him over to Gigi. She tried once ... didn't get it. She tried again with little Riley arching his back ... still didn't get it. Third time was the charm! He was so brave. I think that he wanted to cry when it was over, but we all acted so excited and he got really excited too!

So in the envelope it went and under the pillow. The tooth fairy wasn't quite ready for it and since Riley doesn't take debit card, Carey was planning on going on a late night run to the bank. Instead, he made a trip to Wal-mart and the tooth fairy brought Riley the Indiana Jones Lego kit that is Raiders of the Lost Ark (complete with the big boulder, monkey idol and airplane). The tooth fairy figured that it was his FIRST tooth and he was so very brave when Gigi yanked it out, that he deserved something big. So we told him that the $3 under his pillow was for the tooth and the Lego set was because it was his first one. Hopefully he will buy that and not expect a big-o toy every time.

So grown-up ... lost his first tooth, starting school on Monday ... I feel on the verge of tears when I think of it all.

No comments: