Thursday, August 21, 2008

Meet the Teacher Night

We met Riley's kindergarten teacher tonight ... Mrs. Bush. She seems very energetic and sincere, as kindergarten teachers should be. She has the room all decorated in Texan/Cowboyish stuff ... very cute! For all of my Aggie readers, she is an alumna of A&M. This is her first year to teach ... brand new teacher at a brand new school. I went ahead and signed-up to be Room Mom. Not sure what this will all involve, but I am up for it. I figured that I don't work and will just have Victoria at home with me during the day, so I can probably manage to do it. It can't be any harder than working 55 hours a week with a husband in law school and shuffling a 3 year old from sitter-to-sitter (been there, done that, survived).

I am still not looking forward to school starting. It didn't help that I heard a Mom cussing at her 5 year old during meet the teacher for something that wasn't really that big of a deal. I know we all have different parenting styles, but I think that leaving the potty mouth at home isn't too much to ask. I am not an advocate for cussing at your kids either ... there is a better way to get their attention than that. Anyway, I digress. I know that Riley will do well. He is very excited about school starting. Tonight was a bit much on him with all the parents there and the chaos, plus he has some fever, so he didn't have as good as a time as we hoped. Hopefully he will be ready and well by the time Monday comes. I am excited for him.

He is all set. We have the messenger bag (got that instead of a backpack, that is what Indiana Jones uses), the lunch box (well they aren't really boxes anymore, more like bags) and we dropped off all the school supplies. That was a mission in and of itself ... school supply shopping. I was so excited to go do it, but it turned out to be very stressful. Between me and my mom, we went to 5 different store to find colored construction paper and manilla paper. I finally found it at Office Depot. They were so great there. As soon as I walked in, one of the guys that worked there asked me what I was looking for, he knew where everything was and there wasn't hardly anyone there. It is settled ... I will be doing all of my school supply shopping there from now on.

Three more days left (sigh, sniff, sniff).

2 comments:

Kippy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kippy said...

Oh Kim! I'm getting teary thinking about it too. I remember the day Mr. Riley made his arrival... I can't believe what a big boy he is now! Jack's starting preschool on Wednesday and I'm surprised at how emotional I am about it. I feel ya!

Oh, and praise God he has an Aggie for a teacher! Gig 'em!