Saturday, July 3, 2010

Vaca at the Bahn


We took a mini-vacation this summer. We wanted to get of of dodge, but didn't want to go far because of the whole prego thing and all. So we decided a couple of days at Schlitterbahn and maybe another couple of days seeing this and that in San Antonio and San Marcos.

Well ... it rained ... alot. Which caused some major flooding. Which led to park closures at Schlitterahn.

Bummer.

There were some parts of the park that were open. Schlitterbahn is divided into three sections and the one located on higher ground was open. It turned out that this was just enough for the kids to totally enjoy themselves. Carey and I were bummed that they didn't get to do more there, but they were none the wiser. Actually, they could have just spent the whole day at the wave pool and been totally content. Which is alot like just swimming at Pops and Gigis, except that is free ... and it doesn't have waves.

Schlitterbahn Baby!

Victoria playing in the kiddie pool area. This is were I spent all
my time.Sitting in a lawn chair. Enjoying the shade.
Sipping on my sweet tea.

Probably their 17th trip around (totally not exaggerating on that).
It was pretty cute. Each time they went around a different person
was in the tube, or there was one less tube or one more tube,
or they were all swimming or no one was swimming.

Riley taking a break from all the water fun to play with
the dinosaurs he purchased at the gift shop. Because
nothing says Schlitterbahnlike little toy dinosaurs.

Making their way down the Wolf Pack. Riley said this one
was pretty boring. Victoria loved it!

I would have to say that the part I will never forget about our trip to Schlitterbahn is me laughing hysterically as I tried unsuccessfully 3 or 4 times to get into an innertube and finally had to have Carey and a stranger help me hoist myself in. It is amazing what you cannot physically do when the presence of stomach muscles are no more.

We also spent some time in San Antonio seeing the Alamo and doing some shopping.


So the kids loved, I mean LOVED riding in the trolley (city bus)
around downtown. Not sure if it was all the bouncing around
or the no seat belt freedom, but it was truly a high light for them.

It was a nice getaway. We were only gone for a little over two days when it was all said and done. That was probably enough for me. I can testify that I am not the best traveling companion at 7 months pregnant. Not only is there the frequent pit stops, but the walking at a snail's pace and the many "I need to just sit for a second" interruptions. But it was still a blast even with prego lady and all the flooding aftermath to deal with. I am sure that we will make this an annual thing we do to start every summer.

Next Summer - Camping in Colorado

Summer 2012 - Disneyworld!!

Can't wait!

No comments: