Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The best-laid plans of mice and men often ...

... bite you in the back-side!

So today was going to be a busy day for us. Wednesday always are, but we had a bit more on our schedule today.

1. Get everyone up and dressed and fed.
2. Take Riley to school.
3. Do some laundry, play with Victoria, watch some Sesame Street.
4. Go to Wiggles class.
5. Drive-thru McDonalds for her and Sonic for me.
6. Run by a Goodwill donation center and finally drop off the mound of things that are in my car.
7. Go to Baylor Surgery Center and sit with Mom while Dad is having shoulder surgery.
8. Leave the center to go pick-up Riley from school.
9. Snack, play, do some more laundry, perhaps convince Victoria to take a nap, make dinner, eat dinner.
10. Go to church for children's choir followed by adult choir.
11. Get kids home and bathed and pajamed and read a short book and then to bed.
12. Collapse on the couch at 9PM and try to enjoy the rest of the evening together.

Great plan. Lots to do, but that's ok. I even packed a bag for snacks for the hospital and a bag of toys and what-not. Color wonders, doodle pro, books, dolls, DVD player, etc.

So, I didn't even get past number 1. First off, Victoria was still sleeping when I walked in her room. Not usually the case. Riley is known to be a bit loud in the morning, so she is typically already awake. She was still snoozing. Picked her up ... she was burning up. Bummer. 100.6 fever. Riley had this last week. She is all snotty and eyes are watering and cannot breath through her nose. Poor little girl ... and there goes our full day.

New plan:

1. Instead of pancakes and bananas for breakfast, it is ibuprofen and juice.
2. Instead of Wiggles, it is TV and an ibuprofen induced nap.
3. Instead of going to the hospital to sit with my mom (which I am totally bummed we can't do), it is calling to check-in on the status of it all.
4. Instead of all of us going to church tonight, it is only me and Riley.

So, the day will be spent just around the house taking care of the sick one. I have learned as a mom that your plans can change in an instant. I don't let it get to me too much. I know that the Lord is in control and that I am oblivious to most things that are going on around me. All I need to know is that He wants me to glorify Him throughout my day. And today, I will bring glory to Him by taking care of what he has given me ... a beautiful little baby girl that is full of life and joy, who happens to be all snotty and has a fever. I can definitely do that!

And maybe get some laundry done too (silver-lining).

Sitting on the couch watching Sesame Street.

I love that my kids enjoy a show that I also enjoyed as a kid. Sesame Street, so timeless. And I know what you are all thinking. Pacifier? Still? She is almost two Kim! We did get her off of it about four months ago. But she got sick in December and I brought it out again. And then we drove to Michigan, brought it out for that, too. Even bought two more at the store. So we are trying to only use while sleeping. But now she is sick, and I always give in to just about anything when the kids are sick. It is a rule I have.

I am sure we will go cold turkey again here in a week or so.

2 comments:

Kippy said...

Well, Caroline's snotty too so I feel your pain. At least Jack's at school so I can focus on her, the little crankypants.

And yea for Sesame Street. Did you see that PBS is bringing The Electric Company back. I loved that show!

Anyway, feel better Victoria and get some work done Mama!

Carey said...

Poor little girl. Hope she feels better soon.