Tuesday, May 5, 2009

So Brave


It has been loose now for about 3 months. It has been driving him crazy. About 6 weeks ago, he was attempting to separate two Legos and when he couldn't do it with his fingers, he enlisted his front teeth. Not sure where he learned this from [guilt proceeds to show all over my face]. Anyway, the conversation went something like this ...

"Mommy, something good and bad happened at the same time when I was trying to pull apart two of my Legos."

This is when he showed me the fruits of his labor. Now a very loose tooth.

So, he has been tolerating it loose since then. It has been difficult for him to eat and he would wince every time I would brush his teeth or even mention the thought of trying to pull it. Since Gigi has retired from the teeth-pulling trade, Carey and I knew that it was all on us. But Riley still wasn't interested.

Then, last night he said that he wanted it out. So, I got the cold wet washcloth and started to go in, when Carey arrived and said that he would do it (YAY ... my knight in shining ... t-shirt and gym shorts). Two attempts later, "pop" it was out. I am not sure if Riley even flinched. He was so brave. I was overcome with pride.

I was also, and still am, somewhat sad. Again, another milestone that reminds me that he is growing up and will one day be a man. Sigh. I know that this is the goal, but I will continue to hold on tight to each childhood moment that I can.

Now swoops in the magic that is I fell asleep with it under my pillow and when I woke up it was gone and money is in its place. Some might refer to this process as the doings of the tooth fairy. We however have decided that we will only lie to our children about the big jolly philanthropic man that makes his appearance once a year very stealthily down the chimney. So there is no Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy here. I know ... every party has a pooper. However, there does exist baskets filled to the brim on Easter morning and the money for teeth in the Texan Thompson's home. We just take and accept credit where it is due.

I only had a $20 and Carey was broke. This $20 represents my allowance for the week. Once it runs out, there is no more ... well unless there is some sort of an emergency and I need a Diet Dr Pepper and mozzarella sticks from Sonic REAL bad. Anyway, the $20 made its way under his pillow sometime in the middle of the night. I couldn't wait to see his face this morning when he found $20 under his pillow. I mean, that is alot of money for a little guy ... that is alot of money for me too. Did I mention that is my allowance for the week? So, once he got dressed I reminded him that there might be something under his pillow. He then lifted it up and grabbed the money and said with disappointment in his voice ...

"Only one."

Only one! Only one! That there is twenty bucks little man!! My allowance!! When I was your age, I was lucky to get a quarter. And I liked it!! Only one .. give me a break. [all this said in my head of course]

I suppose he is still under the impression that the more bills or coins, the more money it is. I could have put 20 pennies under his pillow and he would have been more excited than receiving the $20 bill ... ya know, my allowance.

So, I proceed to explain to him exactly how much $20 is and that he has a total of $37 now in his wallet to spend as he chooses. He came unglued at that point. Very excited. I am sure Daddy will be taking him to Walmart this afternoon. He wouldn't want to go with me. I would try to talk him into buying some clothes or books with that kinda cash. I know ... ever party has a pooper.

Party pooper.

3 comments:

Kippy said...

WOO HOO RILEY!!! Ok, I'd totally pull one of my teeth for 20 bucks. Weeeellll...not really,but still.

What a big guy!

Anjolee said...

What a sweet Momma you are!

That was such a cute story.

I know, every milestone is bittersweet over here too.

Anonymous said...

LOL Brandon's teeth have been falling out left and right. His karate instructor told him his mouth was going bald. Thankfully, both kids have been pretty OK with doing it themselves - although Elisabeth just had the dentist pull one of hers at her recent cleaning.

Ours each got a 'big' thing from the tooth fairy on the first tooth. After that, we warned the kids that the other teeth would get less. They've been happy with their dollars, too, though!

Naturally, one of Elisabeth's just had to fall down the sink. Oh well. We said the Tooth Fairy is small enough to go down and get it out; we'd let her know. :)

Good for Riley! And good for the parents brave enough to yank them out. I so couldn't do that.