Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gonna miss it

Gonna miss it bad. We had such a great summer and I'm gonna miss it.

Our summer was a bit lazy. That seems to be our family theme for summers around here. I always try to have big plans for many things to do, but we enevitably end up just takin' it easy and enjoying each other. During the school year, I feel like we are just go-go-go. It is a nice break to just stay-stay and maybe go some.

We did spend at least one day a week over at Pops and Gigi's house swimmin' in the pool. Riley did so great, especially after his swimming lessons at the Saginaw Rec Center. After those many trips to that pool, our backyard blow-up pool managed to loose some of its appeal. He could spend hours goofin' around in Pops and Gigi's pool. Remember those days. The hours in the pool would pass by in seconds. You would get so bummed at the "only 10 more mnutes and then time to get out." Then scramble to get about 20 more jumps in the pool in and a dozen or so more flips underwater. Meanwhile, unbeknowest to you, your parents are melting on the pool deck so desparately wanting to go inside.

Victoria had a few scares in the water one day, so we decided to get her a life jacket. Found a Dora one. Perfect! She wore it around the house for about 3 hours on the afternoon I brought it home from Walmart. There was no problem getting her to wear it at the pool. These are the times that I just love licensed products. Thank you Nick Jr and your merchandising department. She only lasts about an hour in the pool and then proceeds to get undressed right there pool-side. Its pretty cute.

We had some playdates with our school and church chums. Those were lots of fun. VBS was a blast and so were the bounce house places. We also had a good time at the Frank Buck Zoo in Gainesville. That is the perfect size zoo. We went to Chuckie Cheeses for the very first time this summer. That was super fun for the kids, Riley especially loved it. Then there was of course our big family vacation. That was the best! Those are some of the best memories I have from when I was a kid. Vacations in the family car traveling all over the country. So fun! Carey and I are trying to do the same thing with our kids. I think this one was a pretty good start!

We also did plenty of staying up late and sleeping in. My goal for this week was to get us back on schedule. Wake-up at 7AM, lunch at Noon, Victoria's nap at 1PM, dinner at 6PM and bedtime at 8PM. Didn't happen. We are still on summer schedule. Wake-up at 9AM, lunch at 1PM, Victoria's nap at 2:30, dinner at 7PM and bedtime around 9PM. I would say that we could work on it tomorrow, but we have big plans for our last day of summer.

Riley did learn how to pump on the swing set (finally) and we are working on riding the bike without training wheels right now. Maybe we will have it by the weekend. He had his first driving lesson in Michigan on Grandpa's tractor. He was pretty proud of himself.

Victoria can almost play baseball on the Wii and we are still working on the bowling. She was so cute the other day. She had spent her naptime taking almost every book down from her bookshelf. When I asked her if she had a good naptime, she informed me that she couldn't read. She said it with a frown on her face. So cute. I imagine that she was trying to hard to read all those book and just got so frustrated with it. Ya know how it is ... wants to be able to do everything big brother can.

And also, we are officially pacifier free!! We have gone two days with no "shire." This has been a long time coming. What finally worked you ask? We can't find any. We had one left at the beginning of the week. Then its status changed to MIA. I did find it this morning when changing the bed sheets. I need to throw it away. Victoria has adapted well. She has a runny nose today and doesn't feel very well. This is when a shire would be good to have. She is currently sucking her thumb instead. I have never seen her do this before. Whatever works baby girl.

We didn't do all that I had original planned to do this summer. Lack of funds kept us from hitting the local water parks and Six Flags. And me not wanting to take the kids all by myself also kept us from doing that too. Also, Riley didn't read as many books or write as many letters as I hoped we would. Only 25 books (goal was 70) and 1 letter (goal was 30). Oh well.

So our plan for tomorrow is to sleep in just one more time (Yay!!) and then head over to Pops and Gigi's to swim for a bit. Then we are off to shop. I would like to get Riley something brand-new to wear on the first day of school. Then dinner out ... some place nice. Some place other than Sonic. Some place listed on the back of the giftcard I got for my birthday :)

I have loved spending these summer days with my kids! I feel so blessed that the Lord has allowed me to be a full time stay-at-home mom. I prayed for this opportunity the first 4 years I had Riley. Once Victoria was born, we were finally able to do it. It is wonderful. Sure, it would be really nice to have less debt, a nicer vehicle for Carey and the ability to go where we want without having to weigh the cost of it. But none of that is worth the price I would have to pay to not get this time with my kids. I love having my peeps around. They are my most favorite people in the world.


I am sad about Riley going back to school ... just like I was last year. Victoria and I are going to miss him so much. He does LOVE school and misses his little friends. So, I am excited for him to start back. But still sad for me. I am a bit nervous about meet the teacher tonight. I just hope there is at least one of his friends in his class. We didn't request a teacher. I wasn't sure what to do, so I didn't. He is a really good kid, so I am confident that he will do well with any teacher. I just hope she is nice and fun.

Yep. Gonna miss the summer. But what makes it easier is that I so love the fall.

No comments: