Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Thompson Medical Ward

Nurse Kim here. It started Saturday evening with Riley having fever and a bit of an upset stomach. So I diagnosed it as just a stomach flu. I was also using one of those ear thermometers that happened to be broken. I would take my temp with it and it would read 94.6 (my normal is 97.1) and then take Riley's and it would read 98.5. Do the math and I figured he had about 100-101 temp. Well, he seemed alot hotter than that. I mean even his toes were hot. I was able to scoot out Monday late afternoon to get to the store and buy a new thermometer. It reads 103.9 ... ok in total freak-out mode now! That is crazy. Of course it is 6PM, so I can't call the doc. I send Carey to the computer to see what we should do and call my mom. Well, we just sit tight until the morning and try to keep him cool and doped up.

Go to the doctor ... maybe strep, maybe something else, not sure. URGH!!! But at least I walked away with some drugs. Started the antibiotic yesterday, little guy has 101.6 right now and is sleeping ... those antibiotics can start working any moment now.

Most of the morning, Miss Victoria has been a bit off. I thought it was because I was vacuuming (see earlier post), but once I finished I picked her up and she just went limp in my arms and was burning up .... 102.6. DOUBLE URGH!!

So now I have two columns to my sick notebook for each kiddo to keep up with the Tylenol/Advil regiment, antibiotic and decongestant and the fever numbers. I am pushing fluids like crazy.

I am a total basket case. Seriously, my mind goes to mush when my kids are sick. I am ready for some normalcy back in our home.

Gotta go ... hear Victoria crying. More later.

1 comment:

For Over 29 Years... said...

so sorry about the sickies. sounds like the fever virus, it's not fun. Okay have to say that for our photo shoot, you HAVE to bring the tractor and the tutu. either that, or I'm stalking you until I get a pic of her in the tutu on the tractor. Perfect!